Lost And Found Animals
- If you have lost or found an animal please create an account and make a detailed post of the animal so we have your contact information and can better assist with getting the pet back home. Stray animals at our facility are automatically uploaded to the website upon intake. If you do not have access to the internet or are having trouble creating a report, then please visit our shelter during regular business hours to fill out a lost or found report in person.
- If you have questions about this process, you can email our Intake and Redemption Coordinators, Whytney Barnett, at Whytney.Barnett@richmondgov.com, and Meaghen Urban, at Meaghen.Urban@richmondgov.com, or call 804-646-5574.
- Posts created by citizens are approved Tuesday through Saturday, so if you are missing your pet, it is very important that you physically come into our shelter for a walk-through. We have staff available Monday - Saturday from 8am - 5pm and Sunday from 8am - 4pm.
- We highly recommend visiting our shelter as often as possible (in addition to monitoring our website) until you find your pet.
Fees for Reclaiming a Pet:
|$25.00 (proof of current rabies)|
|$5.00 (for each day or any portion of a day)|
Other Resources for Lost and Found Animals:
- Make a detailed post in Community > Lost + Found and > Pets
- Post in Lost and Found Dogs of Richmond
- Search for additional lost and found group pages
- Make sure any post you make is shareable
- Create a post > Lost & Found
- Does the pet have a microchip?
- Lost: Contact the company to verify they have your most up-to-date information and to file a lost report
- Found: Take the pet to a shelter or vet clinic to check
- Make a flyer
- Post at local shelters, rescue groups, vet offices, your apartment complex/neighborhood, and in newspapers
- Talk to your neighbors, delivery drivers, construction crews, etc.