The City of Richmond's Office of Minority Business Development provides a broad range of Technical Assistance to Minority and Small Businesses in the City of Richmond. Our goals are as follows.
- To positively impact Minority Vendor Performance Reviews
- To provide Outstanding Customer Service
- To provide Resources and Opportunities for Minority Business Development and Improvement
- To engage Minority and Small Businesses through Community Outreach and Educational Opportunities
Sign Up Tips: To register for a class online from the calendar, please click on the date with the class you are interested in and then click on "More Details" for the full Sign Up hyperlink. The schedule can be found on our "Event Calendar" tab or CLICK HERE to be redirected.
Technical Assistance Programs & Services
In an effort to provide minority businesses with the best resources possible, the Office of Minority Business Development (OMBD) has various programs and services we offer for FREE! The OMBD is committed to the success of all minority business enterprises (MBEs), emerging small businesses (ESBs), and disadvantaged business enterprises (DBEs). Our programs and services, but are not limited to, the following:
- Business Technical Assistance
- Business Start-Up and Growth Development
- One-on-One Business Counseling
- Business Assessments
- Business Development Workshops and Series
- Registration and Certification Assistance
- Financial Options, Counseling, and Referrals
The OMBD encourages all businesses to take advantage of our programs, services, and resources that are available to them. For more information about our Technical Assistance Programs or to schedule a One-on-One Consultation with our staff, contact LaQuiana Bailey, Program Manager at 804.646.1875 or send an email to: LaQuiana.Bailey@Richmondgov.com
CARE ACT Program Description
The Office of Minority Business Development (OMBD) implemented a program to utilize CARE Act funds to help small businesses navigate through the crisis created by the pandemic by providing business development training and services for local City of Richmond businesses. The one-on-one training and services provided were: financial assistance, strategic marketing plans, and website development. The Office of Minority Business Development (OMBD) solicited 14 small businesses to provide the training and services.
Program & Services Description:
- Financial Assistance: Businesses were provided with training in QuickBooks, a one-year QuickBooks software subscription, and a new laptop device. The businesses also were able to have their financials entered into QuickBooks.
- Website Design Program: Businesses worked with a service provider to create a professionally designed website. The business was also provided a one-on-one consultation and training on how to use their website and graphics software.
- Marketing Plan Program: Businesses worked with a service provider to create a professional and strategic market plan that they could implement to increase revenue during the pandemic. In addition to the marketing plan, the business received a consultation and training on various marketing tools such as Google Analytics, Constant Contact, etc.
Small Business Organizations & Affiliates Links
- City of Richmond/Business License
- Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (DSBSD)
- Electronic Virginia (eVA)
- Metropolitan Business League (MBL)
- Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA)
- National Association of State Procurement Officials (Naspo)
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Office of Small Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) – liaison between small business and federal agencies
- Richmond International Airport (RIA)
- RVA Works
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- State Corporation Commission (SCC)
- Richmond SCORE – the premier source of free small business advice for start-up entrepreneurs and existing small business owners
- Virginia Association of Governmental Purchasing - local city, towns, and schools
- Virginia Business Information Services (VBIS) – business on stop shop
- Virginia Community College Workforce Alliance (VCCWA)
- Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP)
- Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce (VACC)
The Office of Minority Business Development's Technical Assistance Program is designed to help current and future entrepreneurs with their entrepreneurship journey. To assist businesses with effective business planning and preparation to obtain funding, the OMBD utilizes a variety of resource documents. A business plan can be used for individuals thinking about starting a business or for individuals that are looking to restructure their current business. Below are a list of documents that can be used to help individuals start, grow, or expand their business. Please click each document to download it.
The Office of Minority Business Development conducts a Business Plan Workshop each month to thoroughly explain how to successfully put a company’s business plan together. If interested, sign up now! Register Here -Monthly Business Plan Workshop
- Business Plan Template: A document that outlines a business's future objectives and strategies for achieving them. This document thoroughly breaks down the company’s ideas, goals, and forecast to operate successfully.
- Start-Up Cost Worksheet: This document is utilize to identify all startup costs associated with the business.
- Cash Flow Analysis Template: This document is used for businesses to forecast their 12-month cash. flow projections which includes monthly expenses. The primary purpose of the cash flow statement is to provide information about cash receipts, cash payments, and the net change in cash resulting from the operating, investing, and financing activities of a company during the period.
- Sample Cash Flow Statement: This document is a SAMPLE copy of a completed Cash Flow Analysis Statement. This document can be used as a cross-reference when completing the company’s cash flow analysis.
- Cash Flow Glossary: This document is a list of commonly used terms when pursing various funding options or sources.
- Income Statement Template: This document is a template used to create the company’s Income Statement, also referred to as Profit & Loss Statement. The income statement shows the net income or loss over a specified period. It lists the total revenues and expenses that occurred over the period, leading to a total calculation of how much money was ultimately gained or lost.
- Balance Sheet Template: This document is a template used to create the company’s Balance Sheet. This gives the business owner an idea of the company's financial position, in addition to displaying what the company owns and owes
Business Planning Documents
Below are a list of documents that can be used to help individuals start, grow, or expand their business. Please click each document to download it.
Money Smart Description
The Ten Training Modules
The topics for the training modules were selected as a result of focus groups and interviews with small business technical assistance practitioners.
- Organization Types
- Time Management
- Financial Management
- Record Keeping
- Banking Services Available for Small Businesses
- Credit Reporting
- Risk Management
- Tax Planning and Reporting
- Selling a Small Business and Succession Planning
Construction & Contracting 101 Description
The City of Richmond’s Office of Minority Business Development (OMBD) and other partners have teamed up to offer a Construction Workshop Series. This series is designed to assist contractors in improving their procurement opportunities by developing their technical skills and knowledge. Contractors are able to obtain valuable information and helpful tips from industry experts in each area of training. The 10-week series include the following courses:
- Project Management
- Project Expectations
- Understanding Your Contract
- Access to Capital
- How to Successfully Estimate
- Preparing and Monitoring Your Cash Flow
- Preparing the Bid
- Project Scheduling
- Getting Certified with SBSD