Contact Us

Address: 900 E. Broad St.,
                 Room 115
                 Richmond, VA 23219

Phone:     (804) 646-4646
                 For gas leaks, leave the area and call 911


Follow us on our social media channels for news and updates:
twitter icontwitter iconfacebook iconyoutube icon 

For other news, check out our news page:

DPU News Page

The City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities is administering Phase III of its Lead Service Line Replacement (LSLR) Grant Program. This program assists homeowners with replacing lead water service lines running from the water meter serving their property into their homes. This program is made possible by grant funding from the Virginia Department of Health.

Although the water supplied by the City of Richmond is safe, homes built prior to the mid-1980s may contain lead piping or other lead components that may lead to small amounts of lead being deposited into the water that goes into homes.

Applications are now open for Phase III of the LSLR grant. See below for a presentation about the program, application forms, and frequently asked questions. 

For more information about the LSLR Program, contact DPU’s office of Development Services by phone at (804) 646-8544 or via email at

Lead Service Line Grant Program Presentation



Lead Service Line Replacement (“LSLR”) Grant Program Phase 3
Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQs”)

  1. What is the LSLR Grant Program Phase 3?

The LSLR Grant Program (the “Program”) is a program administered by the City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities (“DPU”). The purpose of the Program is to assist home owners or school/daycare representatives (“Applicants”) in replacing the water lead service lines (“LSLs”) running from the Applicant’s water meter into the Applicant’s home, school or day care (“Property”). The Program is made possible by grant funding from the Virginia Department of Health’s (“VDH”) Lead Elimination Assistance Program and from the American Rescue Plan Act (“ARPA”). The first two phases of the Program only allowed for replacement of LSLs on residential properties. The current, third phase of the Program (“Phase 3”) expands the scope of the Program by allowing funding for school-side or daycare-side replacement of lead lines. Additionally, Phase 3 provides for the replacement of galvanized steel service lines on eligible Properties.  

  1. Why is the Program being administered?

The Program is being administered in an effort to eliminate LSLs. Although the water supplied by the City of Richmond (the “City”) is safe, Properties built prior to the mid-1980s may contain lead piping or other lead components. These lead components may deposit small amounts of lead in water piped into a Property.

  1. Who is eligible to participate in the Program?

All Applicants with lead or galvanized service lines may participate in the Program. The Program will prioritize properties that are currently occupied or under active renovation. DPU reserves the right to determine eligibility of properties.

  1. How do I know if my water service line is made of lead or galvanized steel?

If an Applicant suspects his or her service line may be made of lead or galvanized steel, the Applicant should contact a City-certified plumber for a determination of pipe material.

  1. What is a City-certified plumber?

A City-certified plumber is a plumber licensed in Virginia who has successfully completed required training by DPU and is authorized to perform work under this Program. A list of plumbers certified by DPU for participation in the Program may be found on DPU’s website. If an Applicant would like to use a licensed plumber who is not currently certified by DPU, the Applicant or the Applicant’s preferred plumber may contact Development Services at (804) 646-8544 to ask if certification training is available.

  1. How does the Program work?

If a lead or galvanized service line has been confirmed at a Property, the Applicant must submit an application with supporting documentation. DPU will review that application complete with the Applicant’s photos and plumber’s detailed cost estimate for the work. DPU will notify the applicant of acceptance into the program via a Grant Acceptance letter. The Grant Acceptance letter will include an Agreed LSLR Cost and additional forms that must be completed by the Applicant and the Applicant’s plumber. Once DPU receives all the completed forms, a Notice to Proceed letter will be sent to the plumber stating when the work may begin and additional documents that will need to be submitted when the work is completed.  The plumber will submit documentation of the work to DPU for reimbursement.

  1. Is there a limit on the construction costs that the City will reimburse?

Under the past LSLR grant programs, reimbursements were capped at $2,500.  We know that may no longer be reasonable in today’s construction environment.  Our intent is to reimburse for all eligible replacement costs.  It is critical that the replacement estimates be as complete as possible with proper documentation.  If actual costs and the supporting documentation match the Approved LSLR Cost Estimate contained in your Grant Acceptance Letter, that is the amount that will be reimbursed.

Reimbursement for direct and reasonable costs that exceed the Agreed LSLR Cost will be at the discretion of DPU based on DPU’s review of the reimbursement documentation.  The Applicant is responsible for any costs above the Agreed LSLR Cost that DPU deems is not eligible for reimbursement.  

  1. What if I am in arrears on my water bill?  Am I still eligible for the Program?

The City will evaluate your application to determine what payment options may be appropriate to allow the Property to be eligible. 

  1. I have already replaced my lead service lines. Can I take advantage of the Program?

Eligibility for reimbursement of costs for LSLRs completed prior to the launch of Phase 3 of the Program will be made on a case-by-case basis.  Consideration for reimbursement will be given for work completed by a City-certified plumber.  This may include reimbursement completed under emergency conditions.  All reimbursements will be paid to the City-certified plumber.  Determination of eligibility will be dependent on the documentation provided and will be at the discretion of DPU and the VDH.  

  1. What if I find lead or galvanized water piping on the inside of my Property?

Although the Program does not provide for the replacement of piping inside the Property, there is another City grant program being offered by the Department of Housing and Community Development (“HCD”) that will provide for such replacement for Applicants. The replacement of interior lead or galvanized piping, and other select repairs, is an eligible activity under the Healthy Homes component of HCD’s ARPA funding for the Comprehensive Housing Rehabilitation Initiative. HCD staff is working closely with DPU staff to follow-up on homes that might benefit from the Healthy Homes program. 

  1. Do I need to obtain more than one quote for the work to be done?

Multiple quotes are not required by the program.  However, the Application requires that you submit the quote for the Plumber you plan to use.  If you change Plumbers, a new application will need to be submitted. 

  1. The flushing process will be a lot of water and extra expense on our water bill.  Will I receive a credit for this excess water on my utility bill?

DPU understands that the flushing requirements will require you to use more water than normal immediately after the pipe is replaced.  We are evaluating the options available to us for providing a billing credit.    

  1. I have a new refrigerator and was told the water dispenser can remove lead particles.  Do I really need one of the City’s water pitchers and filters?

You need to verify that the filter on your water dispenser meets NFS 42/ANSI 53 standards.  The program will still issue you one water pitcher and a six month supply of filters. 

  1. I have a plumbing company that I have used for all plumbing work done in my home for the past 10 years. That company is not on your Certified list of plumbers.  What is required to have this company added to the list? 

Please have your plumber express their interest in the Program at the number or or email address below and we will explain to them what is needed to become certified.     

For more information about the LSLR Program, contact DPU’s office of Development Services by phone at (804) 646-8544 or via email at

For more information about the Healthy Homes Program contact HCD by phone at (804)-646-1766.

The following is the most current list of plumbers that have successfully completed required training by DPU and are authorized to perform work under this grant program.

Click here for the list of certified plumbers.