City invites three finalists to respond to Request for Offers in Diamond District project
Teams made the competitive cut because their design, program strength, community benefits and financing approaches meet high city expectations, align with vision for area
Three finalists in the Diamond District redevelopment project will be asked to respond to a Request for Offers (RFO). The RFO will be issued the week of May 30, 2022, and responses will be due June 28, 2022.
The city anticipates announcing the preferred team and terms of the agreement in July. The city reserves the right to alter the process and timeline as needed to ensure the greatest benefit is derived for the city and its residents in the creation of this new mixed-use neighborhood.
After carefully considering the responses to the Request for Interest (RFI) and Request for Additional Information (RFAI), the Evaluation Panel has selected three finalist teams based on their design, program strength, community benefits and financing approaches (listed alphabetically):
- Richmond Community Development Partners
- RVA Diamond Partners
- Vision300 Partners, LLC
OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN ABOUT THE PROPOSALS
The finalist teams prepared one-page summaries of their team, concept, and design. Those summaries are available to the public .
In early June, the city will host a public meeting to update Richmonders on the process. Information on that meeting will be available .
About the Diamond District project
The Diamond District project is just one aspect of , which has been awarded the 2021 Daniel Burnham Award for a Comprehensive Plan for the American Planning Association. The plan provides a detailed roadmap to ensure “Richmond is a welcoming, inclusive, diverse, innovative, sustainable, and equitable city of thriving neighborhoods, ensuring a high quality of life for all.”
About the Diamond District Evaluation Panel
The Evaluation Panel is comprised of 10 members, including City Council members, city administrative staff, and VCU administrative staff.
Communication with the Panel
Members of the public can send comments/questions to the Diamond District Evaluation Panel . This form is publicly posted . Do not email the Evaluation Panel members, facilitator, or advisors about the Diamond District project, as emails sent directly to the Evaluation Panel about this project will not be read. Comments and questions will be reviewed every other week and distributed to the Evaluation Panel during the evaluation process.
Evaluation Panel Members
- James P. Duval – Investment and Debt Portfolio Manager, Finance Department
- Sharon L. Ebert – Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, Planning and Economic Development
- Karol Kain Gray – Senior Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Katherine Jordan – Council Member, Second District
- Ann-Frances Lambert – Council Member, Third District
- J.E. Lincoln Saunders – Chief Administrative Officer
- Leonard L. Sledge – Director, Department of Economic Development
- Caprichia Smith Spellman – Interim Director, Office of Community Wealth Building
- Robert C. Steidel – Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, Operations
- Stephen M. Willoughby – Director of Emergency Communications
Evaluation Panel Facilitator
Maritza Mercado Pechin, Deputy Director, Department of Planning and Development Review, is the Project Manager for the Diamond District redevelopment process. She runs the evaluation panel meetings, coordinate logistics, and serve as the official point of contact between the evaluation panel and the respondents.
Evaluation Panel Advisors
These individuals will attend evaluation panel meetings and offer expertise as needed.
- Lynne S. Lancaster – Deputy Director, Department of Public Works
- Matthew A. Welch – Policy Advisor, Planning and Economic Development Portfolio