Contact Us

Fax  (804)646-5686

Address  Richmond City Hall
900 E. Broad St., Room 802
Richmond, VA 23219 USA

Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

GIS & Mapping

The GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and Mapping Division of the Assessor's Office is responsible for a variety of duties in the Assessor's Office. The primary responsibility is for updating the city parcels with splits, merges, subdivisions, and alley / road closings. The Assessor's Computer Aided Mass Appraisal (CAMA) System is also updated with the correct land information.

Official tax maps can be requested via our Contact Information. The Assessor's Office does not make custom maps.

Disclaimer for Using City of Richmond GIS Data

The City of Richmond assumes no liability either for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information provided regardless of the cause of such or for any decision made, action taken, or action not taken by the user in reliance upon any maps or information provided herein.

City of Richmond 2021 Sales – Map showing all 2021 sales with the following dashboard elements:

  1. Bar graph reflecting number of sales per month
  2. Parcel counter reflecting the total number of sales in 2021
  3. Parcel counter reflecting the number of Comp Sales within the last 3 months


  1. All dashboard elements update based upon the parcels within the current map view.
  2. Comp Sales include any market sale.  Comp Sales typically exclude foreclosures, family sales, etc.

Splits are permitted only through deed recorded in the John Marshall courthouse. Once recorded, the deed will be worked our Computer Aided Mass Appraisal (CAMA) System and will be mapped in the City's Geographic Information System (GIS). The property will be assessed with the new value and the new parcel(s) will show up on the following year's notice and tax bill.

Property splits are processed with the following circumstances occur:

  • Conveyance by will or deed of a portion that is less than the entire described parcel
  • Partial conveyance as a result of a new deed or condemnation
  • Recorded deed is accompanied by a plat or survey showing new property lines and location(s) of structure(s) if any
  • Splits are not processed upon written or verbal request of owner of record or agent.

If you are splitting a property and are going to build, please be sure to check with the Zoning Administration to make sure the new properties conform to current Zoning.

A Subdivision Application is required from anyone who wants to divide, subdivide, or re-subdivide a lot, tract or parcel of land situated wholly or partly within the corporate limits of the City into three (3) or more lots, tracts, or parcels of land for the purpose, whether immediate or in the future, of transferring ownership of any one or more of such lots, tracts or parcels of land, or for the purpose of the erection of buildings or other structures on any one or more of such lots, tracts, or parcels of land.

Parcels can be merged, combined, or consolidated if they meet the following criteria:

  • Properties are physically adjacent.
  • Properties are currently deeded in the identical name or names.


Deed Merges

These are merges that are specifically addressed in a deed filed through the Richmond Circuit Court Clerk's Office. This can be in a Deed of Consolidation or in a more general deed. Only another deed can split property once a deed merge has occurred. Also, by removing a boundary line the property owner might lose some development options. This course of action is recommended when a building crosses an existing property boundary or the one of the merging properties is too small or inadequate for development. Please note that multiple properties transferred in deed do not automatically cause a merge. The legal description or plat must identify the properties as a single entity. Parcels listed separately, and having separate legal descriptions, will not be merged together.


Administrative Merges

Admin merges are no longer performed by the city.

The property addresses in the city of Richmond are maintained by Planning and Development Review / Permits and Inspections Division in the Central Address Database. Many parcels have more than one address used for utilities and emergency services.

The Assessor's office only maintains one property address per parcels; the primary address.

If you have a question about your property address or if your property address is incorrect, please contact our office.

Area Tax is a fee imposed to property owners who have objects that encroach into the public right of way. Encroachments can include everything from awnings, marquees, signs, doorways, fire escapes, old coal bins and the building itself. There are also linear encroachments which are typically communications related like fiber-optic cables.

There is a 25 cents per square foot charge for these encroachments. Linear encroachments are charged 25 cents a linear foot. Area taxes are included each year on the tax bill.

Department of Planning and Development Review and Public Works are responsible for permitting and collecting the paperwork for the Encroachments. The paperwork is forwarded to the Assessor's office to calculate the total Area Tax due.

The Assessor's Office maintain the list of encroachments and provides those Area Tax totals to the Finance department to be included on the tax bill.

If you have questions about the Area Taxes for your property, please call the Assessor's office.

If you have a question about the Encroachment process or if you would like more information, please visit Public Works Right of Way Management.

Special Assessment Districts provide services or infrastructure improvements which benefit a limited area. Venture Richmond is the administrator of these districts for the city of Richmond. The districts include:

  • General District
  • Consumer Broad District
  • Consumer Shockoe District
  • Riverfront Overlay District
  • Riverfront Manufacturing Overlay District
  • Riverfront Pre-development Overlay District
  • Riverfront Developing Properties Overlay District
  • Riverfront Completed Properties Overlay District

If you have a question about the amount of taxes applied for a property being in one of the Special Assessment Districts, please contact the Department of Finance.

If you have a question about the Special Assessment Districts themselves or to find out if if a parcel is in one of the Districts, please contact the Assessor's office.