900 E. Broad Street
10th Floor, Room 1004
Richmond, VA 23219
Click Here to Apply for Finance Jobs
Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
Greater Richmond Partnership Inc.
Social Security Administration
Virginia Department of Business Assistance
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Virginia Department of Taxation
Virginia State Corporation Commission
Virginia Legislative Information System
The City of Richmond's Controller is responsible for annual audit reports. The city Controller is comprised of four units whose responsibilities are detailed below.
Divisions and Units
Maintenance of official accounting records for the City, which include accounting for City-wide transactions and internal control functions, such as:
- Maintenance of official accounting records for the City, which include accounting for City-wide transactions and internal control functions, such as: Revenue collections
- Wire transfers
- Bank reconciliation
- Travel account reconciliation
- Trust and agency funds
- Internal service funds
- Special revenue funds
- Grant Administration
- General funds (Revenues & Expenditures)
- Fixed asset ledger maintenance
- Budget Forecast assistance for Special Revenue Funds & Internal Service Funds
- Monthly & quarterly preparation of financial statements
- Finance and investing related activities
- Unclaimed Property Reporting
- Provide customer service to City employees; resolve issues that may arise concerning accounting transactions; provide detailed information of City accounting policies and procedures.
Participation in cooperation with other entities and component units in the preparation of:
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
- APA Comparative Cost Report
- Expenditure of Federal Awards
- Single Audit Report
The Accounts Payable Division is responsible for the following:
- Timely payments of invoices, travel and all related costs incurred by the City
- Data entry into the financial accounting system
- Maintaining vendor tables
- Generating and mailing checks and wire transfers
- Preparation of 1099's
- Provide customer service to City employees and vendors; resolve any questions or issues that may arise concerning vendor payments; provide detailed information of City accounts payable policies and procedures.
The Payroll Division is responsible for the following:
- Timely and accurate processing of the City of Richmond's payroll
- Data entry of payroll information into TEMS (Total Employees Management System)
- Updating, reviewing and reconciling payroll deductions
- Setting up of direct deposits
- Generating and distributing checks and wire transfers
- Handling all payroll accounting related activities to include reconciliation of payroll to general ledger, payments to third parties, payment of state and federal taxes and compliance reporting
- Research tax issues to determine appropriate handling
- Provide customer service to City employees and outside agencies to resolve any questions or issues that may arise concerning payroll related matters; provide detailed information of federal and state payroll regulations and City payroll policies and procedures.
The Financial Compliance Division is responsible for the following:
- Develops and implements processes for ensuring that the disbursement of City funds are handled in accordance with City policies.
- Makes recommendations to correct deficiencies or improve operations; follows-up to determine that, when necessary, appropriate corrective action has been taken.
- Determines procedures to ensure compliance with established policies.
- Prepares surveys and internal audit reports necessary to comply with audit objectives.
- Develops audit objectives and methodology scope to meet professional standards.
- Analyzes results of tests and formulates findings for management.
- Manages the City's 1099 reporting requirements.
- Develops relationships with the fiscal liaisons of City agencies and departments.
- Complies with the mandates of the Finance Department and City policies.