City Center Small Area Plan
Draft City Center Plan
- Stay tuned for the Draft City Center Plan Engagement Report!
- Download the draft plan (7 MB)
- Download the PDF presentation given at the public meeting on June 22nd, 2021 (9 MB)
- Watch the virtual public meeting on June 22nd, 2021
- Download the presentation given at City Planning Commission on June 7th, 2021 (8 MB)
In response to City Council Resolution 2020-R009, the Department of Planning and Development Review is creating a City Center Small Area Plan (formerly called the Coliseum Framework Plan), with the following objectives:
- Engage the Richmond community to identify the key elements that must be located in the primary study area and that shall be included in a future request for proposals (RFP)
- Set the stage for potential developers to feel excited about responding to another RFP by gaining general public consensus and thereby minimizing developer risk
- Develop a draft framework plan including street grid, public space, and development zone concepts that address the concerns and suggestions of the community and City staff. The framework may suggest potential programmatic ideas for key locations, if prudent, and will explore the potential of locating innovative activity generators as part of the redevelopment effort
- Incorporate the City Center Small Area Plan into the Richmond 300: A Guide for Growth master plan document
PDR conducted two public meetings in June and July 2020 during the Richmond 300 planning process to obtain input from the community on the future of the Downtown and City Center Area. During the first meeting, consultants asked the community questions about what they'd want to see in the Coliseum area. During the second meeting, consultants shared 3 plan options for this area and received feedback. After interviewing stakeholders and learning the news of the Henrico Arena, City staff has been working to shape a new draft plan. The new plan will be shared during a virtual public meeting and also posted online in April for public comment.
Meeting 1: On June 15, 2020, PDR hosted a virtual meeting as a part of the Richmond 300 planning process to obtain input from the community on what they wanted to see in the Coliseum Area.
Meeting 2: On July 14, 2020, PDR hosted a virtual meeting for the public to review 3 plan options and provide comments.
July 14 Meeting Presentation (8 MB)
Raw Survey Results (xls) (252 KB) - These responses are summarized in the July 14 presentation. The survey responses were collected from June 15 to June 29, 2020. The raw survey results Excel document includes the polling results received during the June 15 meeting and collected via Survey Monkey survey that was available June 16 to June 29.
Meeting 3: PDR will host public meetings in April for the public to review the draft City Center Plan. Meeting dates and access information will be provided here.