Phone: (804) 646-5573
Fax: (804) 646-5586
1600 Chamberlayne Avenue
Richmond, VA 23222
Hours of Operation:
Monday: Appointment only
Tuesday: Appointment only
Wednesday: Appointment only
Thursday: Appointment only
Friday: Appointment only
Saturday: 12PM-5PM or by appointment
Sunday: Appointment only
Adoption is the best option
By adopting a pet from Richmond Animal Care and Control, you not only get a furry friend, but you also help us make space for animals in need. Click below for more details about the adoption process here at RACC.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt an animal.
- A current photo ID (driver’s license or state ID card) is required.
- We accept cash, Visa/Mastercard, or money order as payment.
- Please bring a carrier for your adopted kitty or a leash and collar for your adopted dog.
- All of our animals will be spayed/neutered prior to adoption.
- We reserve the right to refuse any adoption.
Our focus here at RACC is on same-day adoptions. Those interested in adopting an animal from us, as well as all members of the household, must visit our shelter in person to meet and interact with the animal(s) they are potentially interested in adopting. Adoption appointments are available daily, scheduled no earlier than a day in advance, and are animal-specific. Prior to scheduling an adoption appointment, RACC staff will ask a series of questions to determine if the animal(s) would be a good fit for the potential adopter. Once a selection is made, the prospective adopter must complete our adoption application. The application is immediately reviewed by staff and is typically approved or denied on the spot. Our dog and cat adoption fees cover the cost of the spay/neuter surgery, age-appropriate vaccinations, microchipping, heartworm testing (for dogs), and FeLV/FIV testing (for cats).
If the animal has already been spayed/neutered, the adoption can be finalized immediately. If the animal is not spayed/neutered, the pet is able to go home as a "foster-to-adopt" and the spay/neuter surgery is scheduled with one of our partnered veterinary clinics. The adopter will handle the transport, then the adoption will be finalized once the pet has been spayed/neutered. RACC staff will email and mail the adoption package to the adopter once the surgery is complete.
- $100 adoption fee for dogs, puppies 5 months or older, cats, and kittens
- $150 adoption fee for puppies 4 months or younger
- Cats and kittens may be adopted two for the price of one
- The adoption fee is waived for senior (9 years or older) and special needs pets
- All City of Richmond residents are legally required to purchase a $10 pet license at the time of adoption