Welcome to the Office of the Inspector General
Prior to July 1, 2018 the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) was a division of the City Auditor's Office.
The OIG was established based on the following Bill and Ordinance:
- On March 19, 2018 the Governor of the Commonwealth approved House Bill 283 (HB283).
- On May 14, 2018 Richmond City Council approved Ordinance 2018-139, effective July 1, 2018.
Suspected waste, fraud and abuse can be reported by filing a report or by calling us directly. Reports are invited and encouraged from Richmond citizens and employees of the city of Richmond.
MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES
MISSION STATEMENT (why we exist and what we do)
To detect and prevent fraud, waste, and abuse, and to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the programs and operations of the City of Richmond Government thru independent and objective investigations, inspections, and assistance.
To be a highly effective organization that promotes positive change throughout the City of Richmond Government and organizations with a professional and skilled team that strives for continuous improvement.
- We are honest, ethical, and objective.
- We hold ourselves to high standards and are willing to take tough stands.
- We honor our commitment to the Richmond City Council and the citizens of the City of Richmond.
- We deliver timely and relevant products and services.
- We are forward-looking, striving to improve the City of Richmond Government performance.
- We operate as an independent, transparent, and trusted agent serving the Richmond City Council and the citizens of the City of Richmond.
- We are passionate about delivering results that drive positive change throughout the city government.
- We are trustworthy and can be counted on to do what we say.
Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline
Get rewarded for doing the right thing! Reporting significant fraud, waste and abuse can earn you a reward of 10% of the savings realized, up to $5,000. City employees and citizens can report incidents of fraud against the city or waste and abuse of city resources to (804)646-5697 without fear of retaliation. Please provide complete information and include specific information such as person involved, time and date(s) of occurrence and detailed description of the violation to the investigators. A report can be made anonymously.
City employees are required to report all incidents of fraud, waste and abuse to the Inspector General’s office. Remember, reporting these incidents will save city resources for improved services and benefits!
You will be given a case file access code that will enable you to check on the investigation status of your report. As your report is anonymous, it is important you record your access code, as you would need this code to obtain or provide additional information.
You can remain anonymous or disclose your identity in your report. If you desire, the report can be anonymous. To ensure your privacy and anonymity, no personal information identifying you is included or recorded by this web site.
Please use our secure electronic reporting format to report any suspected waste, fraud and abuse in city government. Every report filed will be reviewed and/or investigated.
Any person who discloses misconduct which results in recovery or savings by the city in the amount $5,000 or more during one year may be eligible to receive a monetary reward that equals 10% of the money recovered or saved, up to $5,000.
Thank you for helping to ensure the financial integrity of the city of Richmond.