1701 Fairfield Way
Email: Ask The Sheriff
If you would like Sheriff Antionette V. Irving to attend your event to speak or to be a guest please fill out the event form and state what your requests are. We would like to have at least 30 days advance notice. We look forward to attending your events.
Sheriff Antionette V. Irving - Biography
On January 1, 2018, Dr. Antionette V. Irving became Sheriff of the City of Richmond facilitating one of the largest Sheriff's Offices in the Commonwealth, to include over 450 sworn and civilian staff members.
Sheriff Irving is a proud native of the City of Richmond and product of Richmond Public Schools where she learned the values of respect and discipline that have served her throughout her career. Growing up a child of substance abuse and domestic violence in the Church Hill of Richmond to include the city's Creighton Court public housing project, she viewed life with no obstacles or boundaries. A graduate of Armstrong-Kennedy High School, her strong work ethics drove her to become a basketball standout, eventually being named to both the Armstrong Kennedy High School Athletic Hall of Fame and the Shaw University Athletic Hall of Fame.
Sheriff Irving enjoyed a 26+ year career in the Henrico Sheriff’s Office and was the first woman to be promoted to the rank of Major in either the Henrico Sheriff’s Office or Police Department. Her leadership and vision encompasses organizational management, fiscal administration, human resources development, conflict and dispute resolution, mediation and community relations. Sheriff Irving’s focus is on establishing a culture of excellence at the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office by focusing on the professional development of the staff, establishing strong community partnerships, and equipping residents of the Richmond City Justice Center with the resources they need to prepare themselves for successful reentry into society.
Sheriff Irving is a committed mentor, civic leader, and philanthropist in the City of Richmond. She volunteers within the community, as well as, with the Saint Paul’s Baptist Church and the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club. A child of domestic violence and substance abuse, Sheriff Irving is a strong proponent of education and youth development. She strives to encourage young people to develop strong values, self-esteem, self-reliance, character, and discipline through the AVI Foundation, which she founded
In addition to her BA in Criminal Justice from Shaw University, Sheriff Irving earned her Master of Science in Administration from Central Michigan University, and her PhD in Business Administration with a concentration in Criminal Justice from North Central University. Sheriff Irving’s numerous honors and recognitions include:
- Virginia Sheriff’s Association (VSA) Treasurer, 2021-2022
- Member of National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
- Member of International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP); National Association of Chiefs of Police (NACP)
- Member of Virginia Sheriff’s Association (VSA); Virginia Correctional Association (VCA); American Jail Association (AJA)
- National Society of Leadership and Success Leadership Honor Society (Sigma Alpha Pi), 2021
- National Society of Leadership and Success, 2021 (Northcentral University Chapter)
- National Society of Leadership and Success Training Program, 2021
- VSA Board of Directors, City of Richmond, Region VIII , 2020-2021
- The John Jasper Trailblazer Award honoree at Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church 2020
- Chairperson of the Community Criminal Justice Board 2019
- Inducted into the 2019 Richmond Public Schools (RPS) Athletic Hall of Fame
- Chair of the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club Advisory Council 2019
- Living Legend Honoree, National Alumni Association of Shaw University, 2018
- Emerge Virginia Boot Camp, Class of 2017
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drum Major Award, 2017 honoree
- Past President, Virginia Center for Restorative Justice
- Leadership Metro Richmond, graduate 2008
- YWCA Women of the Year in Government and Politics, 2002 honoree
- Golden Life Member, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Charter Member, Henrico County Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.