The Richmond Department of Emergency Communications is committed to providing excellent service as the "first of the first responders" for Richmond. It provides rewarding careers to more than 120 full-time employees in a variety of positions.
- Competitive salaries
- Defined career paths
- Training and development opportunities
- City of Richmond benefits
Job openings are listed on the City of Richmond Human Resources website, where applications may be submitted for any open position. For more information about employment, please email DECemail@example.com or call 804-646-5911.
Emergency Communications Officers
The Department of Emergency Communications seeks ideal candidates with a passion for "Building the best Richmond" to fill positions for entry-level (no experience required) and experienced 911 Emergency Communications Officers. Emergency Communication officers answer and dispatch all 911 emergency calls, as well as nonemergency calls. They provide a lifeline for citizens in need, firefighters and law enforcement. The position includes an eight-week training course, and the pay starts at $18.27 per hour with full City of Richmond benefits. Three training courses are offered yearly, with applications accepted in winter, spring and fall.
Follow these steps to become a Communications Officer with the Richmond Department of Emergency Communications:
1. Search for "Emergency Communications Officer" and complete and submit an application at the RVA Human Resources site.
2. Successfully pass preliminary activities to include:
- Preliminary background check phone interview
- Remote online CritiCall® testing
- Virtual Panel interview
3. Pass background testing:
- Investigation interview
- Record check
- Polygraph test
- Reference checks
- Psychological evaluation
- Drug Screen
4. You're hired!
- Earn $18.27 per hour with no experience
- Receive full City of Richmond benefits
- Receive free uniforms
5. Pass the 8-week Basic Dispatch Training Academy
6. Complete on-the-job training
- Throughout your career with the Richmond Department of Emergency Communications, you will have the opportunity to gain more advanced training and move up in pay and responsibility.