900 E. Broad St., Room 1500
Fax (804) 646-6589
Fraud Hotline (804) 646-5697
- State OIG: 804-625-3255 / 800-723-1615
- DSS Fraud hotline: 804-646-5707
- Permits and Inspections: 804-646-4169
- Code Enforcement: 804-646-6398
- Property Inspectors: 804-646-6955
Responsibilities and Authority of the Office of the Inspector General
- To audit, inspect, evaluate and investigate the activities, records and individuals affiliated with contracts and procurements undertaken by the City and any other official act or function of the City.
- To conduct criminal, civil and administrative investigations relating to the municipal affairs of the City.
- To engage in prevention activities, including, but not limited to: The review of legislation; the review of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and transactions; and Training and education.
- To refer matters for further civil, criminal and administrative action to appropriate administrative and prosecutorial agencies.
- To conduct joint investigations and projects with other oversight or law enforcement agencies.
- To issue public reports.
- Establish a “hotline” to receive complaints, from either anonymous or identified persons.
- Have full and unrestricted access to records.
- Subpoena witnesses.
- Administer oaths in taking statements.
- Coordinate with the Richmond City Council and the City of Richmond Administration to develop public awareness strategies to inform government officials and employees, as well as the general public, of the authority and responsibilities of the OIG.