The City of Richmond's Office of Minority Business Development provides a broad range of technical assistance to Minority and Small Businesses in the City of Richmond. Our goals include:
- Positively impacting Minority Vendor Performance Reviews
- Providing Outstanding Customer Service
- Providing Resources and Opportunities for Minority Business Development and Improvement
- Engaging Minority and Small Businesses through Community Outreach and Educational Opportunities
The Office of Minority Business Development offers classes to help you build your small/minority-owned business. From creating a business plan to monitoring your credit, we're here to help educate you!
Classes and class schedules vary based on the calendar year and staff availability. You can find all current classes on our event calendar.
All firms interested in doing business with the City of Richmond are encouraged to complete our OMBD Vendor registration application and attach all required documentation as applicable. Benefits of registration include the ability to receive notification of upcoming workshops, conferences, seminars, and procurement opportunities. City of Richmond vendors are welcome to view procurement opportunities on a regular basis.
Programs & Services
In an effort to provide minority businesses with the best resources possible, the Office of Minority Business Development (OMBD) has various programs and services we offer for FREE! The OMBD is committed to the success of all minority business enterprises (MBEs), emerging small businesses (ESBs), and disadvantaged business enterprises (DBEs). Our programs and services include but are not limited to:
- Business Technical Assistance
- Business Start-Up and Growth Development
- One-on-One Business Counseling
- Business Assessments
- Business Development Workshops and Series
- Registration and Certification Assistance
- Financial Options, Counseling, and Referrals
OMBD encourages all businesses to take advantage of our programs, services, and resources. For more information about our Technical Assistance Programs or to schedule a One-on-One Consultation with our staff, contact LaQuiana Bailey, Program Manager at 804.646.1875, or send an email to: LaQuiana.Bailey@rva.gov.
The Office of Minority Business Development's Technical Assistance Program is designed to help current and future entrepreneurs with their entrepreneurship journey. To assist businesses with effective business planning and preparation to obtain funding, the OMBD utilizes a variety of resource documents. A business plan can be used for individuals thinking about starting a business or for individuals that are looking to restructure their current business. Below are a list of documents that can be used to help individuals start, grow, or expand their business. Please click each document to download it.
The Office of Minority Business Development conducts a Business Plan Workshop each month to thoroughly explain how to successfully put a company’s business plan together. If interested, sign up now! Register Here -Monthly Business Plan Workshop
- Business Plan Template: A document that outlines a business's future objectives and strategies for achieving them. This document thoroughly breaks down the company’s ideas, goals, and forecast to operate successfully.
- Start-Up Cost Worksheet: This document is utilize to identify all startup costs associated with the business.
- Cash Flow Analysis Template: This document is used for businesses to forecast their 12-month cash. flow projections which includes monthly expenses. The primary purpose of the cash flow statement is to provide information about cash receipts, cash payments, and the net change in cash resulting from the operating, investing, and financing activities of a company during the period.
- Sample Cash Flow Statement: This document is a SAMPLE copy of a completed Cash Flow Analysis Statement. This document can be used as a cross-reference when completing the company’s cash flow analysis.
- Cash Flow Glossary: This document is a list of commonly used terms when pursing various funding options or sources.
- Income Statement Template: This document is a template used to create the company’s Income Statement, also referred to as Profit & Loss Statement. The income statement shows the net income or loss over a specified period. It lists the total revenues and expenses that occurred over the period, leading to a total calculation of how much money was ultimately gained or lost.
- Balance Sheet Template: This document is a template used to create the company’s Balance Sheet. This gives the business owner an idea of the company's financial position, in addition to displaying what the company owns and owes
Business Planning Documents
Below are a list of documents that can be used to help individuals start, grow, or expand their business. Please click each document to download it.
Small Business Organizations & Affiliates Links
- City of Richmond/Business License
- Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (DSBSD)
- Electronic Virginia (eVA)
- Metropolitan Business League (MBL)
- Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA)
- National Association of State Procurement Officials (Naspo)
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Office of Small Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) – liaison between small business and federal agencies
- Richmond International Airport (RIA)
- RVA Works
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- State Corporation Commission (SCC)
- Richmond SCORE – the premier source of free small business advice for start-up entrepreneurs and existing small business owners
- Virginia Association of Governmental Purchasing - local city, towns, and schools
- Virginia Business Information Services (VBIS) – business on stop shop
- Virginia Community College Workforce Alliance (VCCWA)
- Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP)
- Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce (VACC)