Current City Services

This page will be updated to reflect the city services available to City of Richmond residents and businesses during periods of emergency or nontraditional service delivery, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. 

For questions about city services, please contact RVA311.

Call 3-1-1 or 804-646-7000. Visit or download the mobile app on the App Store or Google Play.

Last update was completed: June 16, 2021. 

Aging and Persons with Disabilities

The Office of Aging and Disability Services (OADS), remains closed to the public and currently responding to customer calls through the Aging & Disabilities Line at 804-646-1082 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday – Friday. 

Appointments are made on a case-by-case basis, as care coordination efforts are being handled via phone.

Virtual programming is on-going.

Animal Care and Control

Richmond Animal Care and Control shelter is open to the public and volunteers. Adoptions/fosters/redemptions are available by appointment only. 

RACC is hosting a human/pet food pantry for anyone in need. It is open seven days a week from 8-5 p.m.

Email if you are interested in adopting a pet. Email if you are interested if fostering a pet. Email if you found a pet, lost a pet or need to reclaim your pet from RACC. 

Dogs and cats available for adoption can be viewed here:

RACC Animal Control Officers are responding to calls for service 24/7 and can be reached at 804-646-5573.

Behavioral Health Authority, Richmond

Please visit for the latest operating updates. RBHA offices are open by appointment only. Please call your Case Manager or 804-819-4000 to make an appointment before coming to any RBHA facility.  

Circuit Court

All persons entering the building we will be screened for COVID-19 at the entrance. Face masks are required throughout the building, unless an individual has been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. 

Persons summoned for jury duty, or as a witness, who are elderly, have underlying medical issues or have other compromising health issues and wish to be excused, are encouraged to notify the Court as soon as possible prior to the anticipated court date. Email, telephone and regular mail are the preferable means of notice. The circuit court judges will work to ensure a safe and appropriate environment for all jurors. 

The Richmond Circuit Court Clerk’s Office continues to operate normal business hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.  All regular services, including deed recording, marriage licenses and probate, continue. Appointments are required for many services. We recommend citizens contact the Clerk’s office at 804-646-6505 before coming to the courthouse.  Please see our page on the city website for more detail as to service availability. 

Attorneys are encouraged to use electronic filing options and remote access systems. Most court cases have been continued. Please contact the clerk’s office or visit the page on the city’s website for more information.

Richmond Circuit Court, John Marshall Courts Building, 400 N 9th St., Richmond, VA 23219

Community Wealth Building

The Office of Community Wealth Building Career Station buildings are open to the public by appointment, only. Workforce services are being provided to the public virtually. Participants who need services should call their career advisors, directly.  

Residents who need services but do not yet have a career advisor can call (804) 646-6464.

Economic Development

The City of Richmond's Department of Economic Development is available to help connect businesses to resources to assist with their response to COVID-19.  

Visit to view guidance on Richmond's phased reopening.  RVAStrong also has a variety of resources for businesses under "For Businesses."

Email the office at or call (804) 646-3792.

Emergency Communications

9-1-1 emergency communications services are fully operational. Call 9-1-1 in an emergency only. 

For non-emergency police and fire services, call 804-646-5100. Citizens with questions about COVID-19 can call the Virginia Health Department hotline: 1-877-ASK-VDH3.

Fire and Emergency Services, Management

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak and subsequent related policies, Richmond Fire and Emergency Services continues to be guided by CDC, state and local health officials regarding best practices for protecting members and preventing the spread of the virus.

Emergency response will not change. The stations are fully staffed and able to respond to any emergencies that the community might face. First responders are utilizing enhanced personal protective ensemble when appropriate and modified select patient encounter procedures. Additionally, when possible, they maintain six feet of distance for initial assessment. As a standard practice in line with CDC guidelines, when encountering patients with respiratory complaints and flu like symptoms, personnel will place a surgical mask on the patient.

Fire stations will have limited access to the public. An exception will be made for any medical emergency that would require the public to enter a station for treatment. Notices will be posted on the front door of each station, directing visitors to call Fire Headquarters to conduct business.

Fire Headquarters will be closed to the public, but available for phone calls. All personnel, both in the stations and office positions, are practicing social distancing. 

Non-emergency and non-essential services are not being offered at this time.


Because many calls in the RVA311 Call Center in the past weeks have regarded finance, the department has created a full FAQ document for public use. Read it here.

The Finance Department will take customer payments of tax and utility bills in person through newly installed drop boxes and by walk in at City Hall. Customers are encouraged to take advantage of online and contactless payment methods.

General Registrar

The Office of the Richmond General Registrar is keeping regular business hours.

Information about voter registration and absentee balloting can be found on at  under the Voter Registration department. 

Additional information can be found at Voters can also email the office at or send a fax to (804) 646-7848.

General District Court

Visit the Richmond - John Marshall court location here. Visit the Richmond - Marsh location here.  

Health District, Richmond City

The Richmond City Health Department continues to provide some limited services.  In order to protect the safety of the public and staff please see the following information regarding reduced services.  

The Richmond City and Henrico County Health Districts have set up a COVID-19 hotline to answer your questions – 804-205-3501. This hotline is for general questions regarding COVID-19. If you have a medical emergency, please contact 911 instead. Hours of operation Monday-Friday (8:00 AM-6:00 PM).

Walk-in Naloxone dispensing at RCHD is suspended until Further notice, but individual no-contact training and dispensing can be arranged for anyone who may be in need by calling 804-592-8069.

Clinical Services

The following health department clinical services remain available. 

  • STI clinic is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00 pm for patients who are currently experiencing STI symptoms and have an appointment. Appointments can be made by calling 804-205-3500, option 3.
  • Gilpin, Mosby, Whitcomb, and Southwood Resource Centers remain open with limited community and clinical services. 

Please call and make an appointment:

Gilpin - 804-786-1960

Mosby - 804-786-0204

Whitcomb - 804-786-0555

Southwood - 804-230-2077

Environmental Health

Environmental Health Services is still accepting food establishment, mobile food unit and plan review applications by U.S. Postal Mail and fax.  During this time, they will accept credit card payments over the phone.  Please contact the office to email the application and the administrative staff will help you. 

Environmental Health Specialists are still available for phone consultation, foodborne illness related complaints and acute public health related complaints.  

Please contact 804-205-3912 for more information or to make a credit card payment. Please mail applications and payments to Richmond City Health District Environmental Health, 400 E. Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219.  Please fax applications to 804-786-9007 or 804-371-2208.    

Vital records

The vital records office remains open at 400 E. Cary Street.

Mail-in applications are also being processed through the state office. Please visit this section of the website for mail-in application information. Expedited mail-in service can be provided by VitalChek


WIC services remain available.  

Call 482-5446 (Cary St WIC Office), 786-3201 (Richmond Community Hospital WIC Office) or 205-9816 (Southside WIC Office) to receive direction on how to schedule your visit. You may be asked to have your physician fax in most recent heights and weights. Some normal labs will be deferred at this time to reduce exposure of your child and staff.  The offices ask if you or your child are currently sick you call the office prior to your visit.

Housing and Community Development

The City of Richmond's Department of Housing & Community Development (HCD) is currently closed to the public. However, our offices will reopen, by appointment only, on July 6, 2021. Staff is available to lend assistance and are still processing AHTF and all HUD grant programs’ invoices and contracts.

Should you need information or to discuss a matter with staff, please use their City of Richmond email address or leave a voice message at their respective telephone number. See below for a staff directory:

Human Resources

Human resources is accepting applications jobs that are posted and still open.  

Visit the Human Resources page on for open positions. 

Justice Services

The City of Richmond's Juvenile Detention Facility will accommodate all professional and parent contact/visitation by telephone only.  Please contact the Detention Facility at (804) 646.3461.

For information regarding the Department of Justice Services’ Adult Programs, please contact the office at (804) 646.8955.

For information regarding the Department of Justice Services’ Juvenile Programs, please contact the office at (804) 646.8975.


All Richmond Public Library locations are open to the public 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Saturday.  Patrons are asked to follow CDC and VDH COVID-19 mitigation and safety precautions.  Visit for specific details of available services and resources.  The Summer Reading Program begins Saturday June 12 through August 7, 2021.  Help us meet our goal of 100,000 minutes of reading this summer.  

Minority Business Development

The following staff are available to assist you:

Technical Assistance, Training, New Business Inquiries, One-on-One Consultations:

Compliance, Procurement:

Compliance, Registration, MBE3 Reports:

Compliance, Regulations, Procurement, Special Projects:

Administration, OMBD Matters, Special Projects:

Administration, OMBD General Information:

Multicultural Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) is located in Southside Plaza, inside the Social Services Building, 4100 Hull Street Rd. Customers can make inquiries and appointments by phone through our main line 804-646-0145, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Customers’ calls include but are not limited to information and resources for immigrant and refugee residents. We connect and refer them to local partner agencies who provide services in their language in areas such as:

  • Legal – immigration, housing, tax law, discrimination, family and labor law.
  • Consulate information
  • Health Service providers for insured and uninsured residents
  • Mental Health Providers
  • Domestic violence and other violent crimes support
  • Employment
  • Education programs – English as a Second Language, GED (English and Spanish),
  • Multicultural Events
  • Navigation and Interpretation for City Services
  • and others

Customers are encouraged to follow OMA’s Facebook page @RichmondCityOMA, where information and updates about COVID-19 are posted in English and Spanish.

Parks, Recreation and Community Facilities

The department continues to phase in the use of public facilities.

Athletic Fields are available for rentals provided that practices are in line with the governor’s guidelines.

Parks, Recreation and Community Facilities’ administrative offices were open by appointment only starting June 1. 

All outdoor parks, tennis courts, play fields are open for recreational use.

Burials at city owned facilities will take place as scheduled. 

Staff at PRCF’s Administrative Office will be available to assist residents via phone at 804-646-5733 or email at Staff from the Cemeteries Division can be reached at 804-646-1402.

Planning and Development Review

Permits and Plan Review

All permit submission and payments must completed electronically.

Use the Online Permit Portal for BLD-R, ELE-R, GAS-R, MEC-R, MEC_C, PLB-R, CZC and Plan of Development.

Use OneDrive for WISP, Encroachment, ESMP, Land Disturbance, ZCL, BLD-C, BZA, SUP, all commercial trade and miscellaneous construction permits, and any auxiliary forms that may be needed for these submission types.

For those without internet access, applications may be mailed via USPS.

Staff are available for a limited number of in-person appointments at City Hall to resolve specific project issues. Walk-in applications or payment for services are not available at this time.

Permits and plans will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Priority is given to applications involving life safety and/or habitability concerns (e.g., water, sewer, power, and gas) as well essential facilities.

Please e-mail or call (804) 646-4169 for all other requests.


Field inspections will continue for all commercial and residential construction projects. A virtual inspection may be requested (by the applicant or inspector) if there are significant health concerns.

Customers may use the third-party program for individual inspections when the building official is unable to perform a scheduled inspection within two working days of a request, an agreed upon date, or if authorized for other circumstances in the building official’s written policy.

Customers may also use the third-party program in full to obtain both inspection and plan review services.

Property Maintenance and Code Enforcement

Citizens can report concerns by going to, downloading the RVA311 app or calling 311.

Once the complaint is received, an inspection will be scheduled and conducted. Please e-mail or call (804) 646-6398 for all other requests.


Applications and payments for Certificates of Zoning Compliance must completed electronically through the Online Permit Portal.

Staff are available for a limited number of in-person appointments at City Hall to resolve specific project issues. Walk-in applications or payment for services are not available at this time.

Please e-mail or call (804) 646-6340 for all other requests.

Land Use

Applications and payments for Plans of Development must completed electronically through the Online Permit Portal. Please use OneDrive for all other applications, including Certificates of Appropriateness.

Staff are available for a limited number of in-person appointments at City Hall to resolve specific project issues. Walk-in applications or payment for services are not available at this time.

Please e-mail or call (804) 646-6304 for all other requests.

Procurement Services

Bidders and offerers are encouraged to frequently check the Department of Procurement Services webpage for updates and for any addenda issued by the City for pending solicitations. Bidders and offerers choosing to submit bids or proposals through hand-delivery should allow extra time for delivery of bids and proposals.

Public Utilities

The Department of Public Utilities facilities and customer service stations are open to customers, vendors and contractors. 

If you have questions about customer service at this time, please read this FAQ document. 

The Water Resources Team is providing construction inspections and plan reviews for both commercial and residential properties. 

For natural gas emergencies, please leave the area, go to a place where the odor is no longer present and call 911 or 804-646-4646.

Customer Service:

For utility related questions residents and rate payers can reach DPU by:

Phone: 804-646-4646


Residents and rate payers can make utility bill payments:

Pay by check:         Submit utility payment by mail using the enclosed envelope with your bill.

Pay by phone:        Please call (804) 646-4646 and select option 2

                                  Please have your account number and zip code available

Pay online:   Visit

                        Please have your account number and zip code available

                        Select “on-line services”

                        Select “Gas and Water”

Development Services and Richmond Gas Works

For utility permit applications 

Natural gas, water and sewer permit applications may be found at:


Permits may be submitted by:


City of Richmond – Department of Public Utilities

900 E. Broad St.

Room 115

Richmond, VA 23219     


Land disturbance permits and storm drainage permits can be found at:

On-line: under Water Resources information on the Public Utilities page

Permits may be submitted by mail to:

City of Richmond – Dept. Of Planning and Development Review

Bureau of Permits and Inspections

900 E. Broad Street, Room 110

Richmond, VA 23219

Public Works

The services provided by the City of Richmond’s Department of Public Works shall continue as scheduled. Solid Waste and Bulk & Brush collection will continue on schedule. Construction projects and inspection processes for these projects are still on-going. DPW facilities are currently not open to the public.

The Department of Public Works Facilities Division continues to routinely disinfect and sanitize all City facilities. Hand sanitizing stations are available in all City facilities.


RVA 311

RVA311 will continue to be open normal business hours to answer questions and take citizen requests for non-emergency services. Hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday hours are 9 a.m to 5 p.m.

Social Services

DSS determines initial and continuing eligibility for various benefit programs, to include those that pertain to basic needs (i.e., food and emergency rental or utility payments). Click on this link for Social Services FAQ's | Richmond ( 

Benefits Programs

Cooling Assistance applications can be completed online at, by phone through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, 1-855-635-4370, or by using one of the DSS Boxes at Marshall Plaza (900 E. Marshall Street) or Southside Plaza (4100 Hull Street).  The maximum benefit for electricity payments is $400.  The maximum benefit will be approved for all households approved for payment of electric bill and will be issued at the time of the case approval. The Cooling Assistance application period is from June 15 – August 16, 2021.

Residents can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call 804-646-7000. Benefit workers will contact residents directly to conducted interviews by phone.

Until further notice, emergency SNAP benefits are still being issued monthly. Residents can submit DSS inquiries and requests regarding services through the RVA311 webpage or call 804-646-7000.

Residents who need to apply for benefits should call the Enterprise Call Center at 1-855-635-4370 or go . Pending applications, renewals or verifications can be faxed to 804-646-7018 or placed in the drop box at the front of the Marshall Plaza or Southside Community Service Center. Residents who need to submit benefit case documentation (Required Verifications, Pending Renewals, SNAP Interim Reports and Change Forms only) can email them to .

Residents needing an EBT replacement card are encouraged to call 1-866-281-2448. If you have questions about your EBT card, call the 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at 866-281-2448.

Residents that are approved for SNAP Benefits their EBT cards will be mailed and some clients will be notified, if they are eligible, to schedule an appointment to pick up their EBT card. (Appointments will be scheduled in 20 minute increments, for those eligible, on Monday- Friday from 9:00 am – 12:00noon and 1:00 pm-5:00pm.)

Residents may continue to call the Fraud Hotline with questions at 804-646-5707.  Appointments will be scheduled by the Fraud Supervisor for forms that may require signature and notary.

Pandemic EBT

The Virginia Department of Social Services in collaboration with Virginia Department of Education will launch P-EBT3 in Virginia. This nutrition assistance program was extended to help school-aged children with no access or limited access to free or reduced priced meals due to the public health emergency. The benefits for this round of P-EBT are retroactive starting October 2020. The first issuance will begin on Wednesday, March 17, 2021.

Reporting Child Abuse/Neglect

To report a suspected child abuse or neglect, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm) at 804-646-0438 or the VDSS 24/7 CPS Hotline at 1-800-552-7096.

Reporting Elder Abuse/Neglect/Exploitation

Adult Protective Services (APS) staff are available to respond to allegations of abuse and/or neglect involving the elderly or adults with a disability. To make a report, citizens are encouraged to call the Richmond City Hotline (M-F 8:00am – 5:00pm) at 804-646-7405 or the VDSS 24/7 APS Hotline at 1-888-832-3858.

Effective July 2021, if any of the above resources do not resolve your request for DSS services and support, you may call your worker, 311 or 646-7000 to schedule an appointment.


The City of Richmond's Office of Sustainability encourages residents with questions or other needs to email For updates on the city’s climate action and resilience initiatives, citizens are encouraged to follow @RVAgreen2050, the RVAgreen 2050 Facebook page, and check the RVAgreen 2050 website. Find resources to help us create an equitable, healthy and resilient community here.

Treasurer's Office

The City Treasurer’s Office encourages customers with questions or other needs to call (804) 646-6474 or email for the foreseeable future. 

The office will take visitors by appointment. Those who wish to receive notary services should make an appointment.