Contact Information:

City of Richmond Social Services


Marshall Plaza Building
900 E. Marshall Street
Richmond, VA
23219 USA


Customer Care Center:
Call 3-1-1
(804) 646-7212 (Outside Richmond Area)

Adult Protective Services:
(804) 646-7405  
After normal business hours
(888) 832-3858


How do I apply for benefits?
Call: (855) 635-4370

Fax paper application to: 
(804) 646-7018


Drop Box at Marshall Plaza
(900 E. Marshall Street)

Drop Box at Southside Plaza
(4100 Hull Street)


Marshall Plaza Building
900 East Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1538


South Richmond:
Southside Community Services Center
4100 Hull Street Road
Richmond, VA 23224-1745


Division of Economic Support and Independence (ES&I)

The Division of Economic Support and Independence focuses on promoting economic stability and independence for single adults and families.

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
formerly known as Food Stamps

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, helps low-income individuals and families buy food and meet their nutritional needs. SNAP is a federal program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Benefits are issued through Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards that can be used in place of cash to buy food as a supplement to the family's food budget. The EBT cards are accepted at most grocery stores. To find out additional information on how to apply for SNAP benefits, please cal (804) 646-4110

Apply for SNAP Benefits Online 

Check or Renew Benefits/ Report Changes 




Documents You May Need

  • Proof of identity (driver's license or picture ID) 
  • Proof of residence 
  • Proof of income 
  • Proof of resources 
  • Proof of shelter expenses

All of the above items are not required to complete an application but may be required at a later stage in the process to determine eligibility for benefits.
All information that you provide is confidential. Information will only be given to persons directly connected with administering or enforcing provisions of the programs for which you apply.


Helpful Resources



The goal of the employment assistance program for food stamps recipients, SNAPET (formerly known as FSET), is to provide opportunities for job search and job training so that SNAP recipients will no longer be dependent on food stamps.  The program is open to individuals who are not receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). The program targets single adults living alone.

Registrants are referred to the SNAPET program at the time of food stamp application, reapplication and every 12 months thereafter unless a change occurs that affects exemption status.

Clients in the program may participate in a job search, job readiness training, and unpaid work experience, which may serve to make them more employable. Supportive services may include child day care, transportation, and medical/dental services.




I’ve lost my Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. How do I get a new one?

If an EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, the cardholder can call the toll free, 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at (866) 281-2448. After verifying the identity and address of the cardholder, the original card will be deactivated and a new one issued. If the cardholder’s address has changed, the cardholder must notify RDSS of the address change by calling 3-1-1, or their Human Services Technician. To obtain a new card in an emergency, contact Richmond Department of Social Services by calling 3-1-1, or visiting a service location.

How do I check the balance available on my EBT card?

To check the balance available on the EBT card to make food purchases, cardholders can call the customer service line at (866) 281-2448 and enter the 16 digits on the front of the card. At the point of purchase, some stores will allow the cardholder to swipe the card, enter the PIN and check the available balance. Cardholders can also access their balance and transaction history online by selecting "Virginia" and logging in or creating an account.

More EBT card questions?

Visit the Virginia Department of Social Services EBT page.


Where do I send the information verifying my application for SNAP?

If you were instructed to send additional information for your application:

  • Email - Ask your Human Services Technician for their email address, then scan and email copies to them. 
  • Mail - Send copies in an envelope with your worker’s name to:

900 E. Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23219

  • In-Person - Bring your documents to an RDSS location to be scanned and emailed to your Human Services Technician on-site. 



Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write

USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights,
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410